The stars of both Sex and the City and its new reboot And Just Like That, Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon and Kristin Davis, have spoken out to publicly express their support for the women who accused their longtime co-star Chris Noth of sexual assault last week.
Following the premiere episode of the SATC spinoff show, two separate women detailed harrowing and eerily similar incidents of alleged sexual assault by Noth to The Hollywood Reporter, saying the actor’s return to the screen as beloved character Mr Big in And Just Like That prompted them to come forward with their stories.
Four days later, on Monday, December 20th, Parker, Nixon and Davis issued matching statements to their respective social media accounts addressing the allegations and publicly standing with the women who came forward. The message reads, “We are deeply saddened to hear the allegations against Chris Noth. We support the women who have come forward and shared their painful experiences. We know it must be a very difficult thing to do and we commend them for it.”
The three women’s public statement is the first to come from anyone who worked closely with Noth throughout the SATC franchise. The day after the story broke And Just Like That actress Bridget Moynahan declined to comment on the accusations during an Elle interview, saying, “It would be inappropriate for me to comment on things I don’t have any knowledge of.”
On December 16th, The Hollywood Reporter published the accounts of two women, who used pseudonyms when discussing the alleged assaults they say took place in 2004 and 2015, respectively. According to the outlet, the two women separately reached out to them and do not know each other.
In response, Noth issued a statement denying the allegations. “The accusations against me made by individuals I met years, even decades, ago are categorically false. These stories could’ve been from 30 years ago or 30 days ago—no always means no—that is a line I did not cross. The encounters were consensual. It’s difficult not to question the timing of these stories coming out,” he said in a statement. “I don’t know for certain why they are surfacing now, but I do know this: I did not assault these women.”
Following the report, a third woman came forward with sexual assault allegations against Noth in a report published by the Daily Beast. The woman who remained anonymous told the outlet she was 18 when Noth sexually assaulted her while she was working at a New York City restaurant in 2010. Noth also denied this allegation. Furthermore, online people have been circulating a resurfaced interview in which Noth’s ex-partner, supermodel Beverly Johnson, accused him of ‘beating her’, ‘making death threats’ against her and ‘vowing to kill her dog’ in 1995.
Noth has since been dropped from his talent agency and it was announced he will no longer film additional episodes of the show The Equalizer.