Whether you’re lamenting the winter chill that’s settled across Australian climes or simply itching to see what Clare Waight Keller’s new-look Givenchy will look like next year, these newly-released images are guaranteed to set things on fire.
And if thought the elegantly minimalist wedding gown she created for Megan Markle was an indication of the direction she planned to take a post Tisci-era Givenchy, then think again.
Rather, the former Chloe designer – who famously became the first female creative head of the French company founded by Hubert de Givenchy in 2017 – has given us a curious, 80s-inspired collection for men and women that’s subversive, cheeky, ugly-pretty and cool.
We’re of the firm belief a picture paints a thousand words here at GRAZIA, so we’ll let this glorious gallery of images below do the talking, but first, here’s a snapshot of the key things you need to know:
- Grey stone wash denim. In fact, double grey stone wash denim. Enough said.
- Multiple Japanese influences (prints, fabrics, shapes and even manga figures) drawn from KWC’s travel to the country and the brand’s archives. (Mr Givenchy had a life-long interest in Japan.)
- Faux fur has never looked more glamorous. In this case, KWC conjured fake ‘real’ fox and a tiger-vibe coat that’s outrageously good.
- Long sequinned dresses over wide-legged pants and shiny leather over more shiny leather.
- Slouchy knee-high boots with three-inch heels in both white and mustard hues.
- The paper-bag pants of the past two seasons have been replaced with ones equally baggy but banded at top and tapered at ankle, a la Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
- Clashing check prints, teal on teal, stirrup pants, lace window panels, women in classic men’s tailoring, clip-on belt bags and Givenchy’s mostly black answer to the current ugly-chunky trainer trend.
- Shades of red also make a strong statement, on a coat paired with a cropped black and red goat jacket, a dramatic one-shouldered evening dress, and a herringbone coat.
- And… most importantly… the new signature heeled pump shape of the season. (Hint: see image number 56. It’s worth the wait.)
GALLERY: A GLIMPSE OF GIVENCHY SPRING 2019