Produced in Association with Next
Whether you’re a wild party woman or prefer a more elegant, low-key approach to your socials, there’s one universal truth when it comes to soiree dressing: a new outfit makes the event.
Still, contrary to popular belief, there’s far more to a perfect party outfit than a whole lot of sparkle, silk and sun-kissed bare skin. These nine key fashion trends right now are perfect for turning summer events into photo ops.
1. OTT embroidery Call it the Gucci effect, but the last time luxe beading and embroidery was so on trend, it was the 1920s. The trick to making it look totally modern rather than something you stole from your grandmother’s wardrobe (not that we don’t approve of such treasure sourcing) is to team it with sheer fabrics and look for a bold, picture-based design.
NEXT, Black Embroidered Long Sleeve Top, $73. SHOP NOW
2. The Solo Shoulder Last year was all about completely off-shoulder. Now it’s fine to stop half way. The one-shouldered dress comfortable, easy to wear and both modern and classic. Look for one in this season’s velvet or satin and accessorise with nothing buy statement earrings and shoes.
Next, Black One Shoulder Striped Velvet Dress, $104. SHOP NOW
3. Metal-look accessories Here’s the easiest way to add some edge to a classic LBD or relaxed denim party look: add a bag or shoe in a silver, rose gold or pewter finish. Opt for cross body styles for your bags (perfect for keeping hands free) and this season’s on-trend block heel for shoes.
4. Sequinned anything The resurgence of ’80s glam as a trend means it’s never been more fashionable to bring your own fireworks to the party in the form of a sequined piece. You could ease in with sequinned jeans but we say take inspiration from the Saint Laurent, Emilio Pucci and Tom Ford Autumn/Winter 2016 shows and go all in with a full-look jacket or shift dress.
NEXT, Teal Sequin Dress, $83. SHOP NOW
5. Patchwork denim Not one for short dresses, bling or just want a low-fi fallback for days the sports luxe trend is just too tempting? Jeans have never been more on-trend as evening wear (just as satin slip cocktail dresses are have switched to ideal street wear). Shake off the temptation to go skinny on the party circuit; Christmas 2016 is all about patchwork and distressed detailing teamed with a tailored jacket and statement heels.
NEXT, Mid Blue Patch and Ripped Boy Fit Jeans, $60. SHOP NOW
6. Ladylike with a twist Once upon a time a ruffled blouse buttoned to the top would have felt more librarian than libertine, but the current Modern Victoriana trend means it’s the ideal compliment to a statement jean, skirt or even high-waisted short. We’d feel comfortable wearing this look below to the Grazia office, then heading straight out from work.
7. Star motifs If you haven’t already been seeing stars throughout spring, we guarantee you soon will be. It’s the must-have shape of the season when it comes to printed fabrics, jewellery and even accessory motifs.
8. Luxe boho There’s a distinct difference between hippy and high-end bohemian, namely that one incorporates luxe-feeling fabrics and expert cuts. The easiest way to embrace this trend is through gold embroidery, combined with a loose-fitting dress or playsuit, and strappy flats.
NEXT, Black Spot Playsuit, $89. SHOP NOW
9. Botanical prints These work best when in a luxe fabric like silk, satin or velvet. (Cotton and rayon are great for boho beach or festival-wear but steer clear at for night.) High waisted fabrics and full skirts mean the prints pack an even bigger punch.
NEXT, Black Floral Full Skirt, $95. SHOP NOW