With both Men’s Fashion Week and Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week cancelled – and the Spring / Summer 2020 shows looking inevitably doomed – all we can do is look back upon the fashion month that was to get our fashion and beauty fix.
For those keen fashion and beauty enthusiasts among us, it’s these moments that provide relief, albeit temporary, from the doom and gloom with things that are anything but. Trivial to some, Jonathan Anderson’s deftly constructed leather at Loewe, for example, or Guido Palau’s impossible hair sculpture at Moschino, is a welcome and very necessary reprieve for those seeking creative distraction when everything just feels too much (and it’s OK if it does).
While it seems a lifetime ago, we revisit the biggest hair trends to come out of New York, London, Milan and Paris fashion week, and show you how to get the look at home, should you wish to experiment for spicy at-home date nights or important Zoom meetings – or if you just need a little pick-me-up. Remember, there’s no harm in a little self-love and getting glammed up from time to time.
Warning: slippery (hair) roads ahead. New York, London and Milan dished up slippery, slicked ‘dos in myriad incarnations. The low ponytail rode on in at Alberta Ferretti, Jil Sander, Prabal Gurung, Christian Siriano and Brandon Maxwell, which saw everything from heavy-handed gel applications at Alberta Ferretti to more refined (and drier) articulations at Jil Sander and JW Anderson. While wet, softly mussed out ‘dos ruled the runways of Roland Mouret, Dion Lee and David Koma, as too perfectly polished slicks which were meticulously parted down the middle at Burberry and Christopher Kane.
The Look: Slick, wet and all kinds of slippery
Where: Alberta Ferretti, Jil Sander, Prabal Gurung, The Blonds, Christian Siriano, Brandon Maxwell, Jil Sander, JW Anderson, Roland Mouret, Dion Lee, David Koma, Burberry, Christopher Kane
Get the Look:
1. Spritz wet hair with ghd heat protect spray
2. Using ghd HELIOS, dry your hair until it’s 80% dry
3. Apply ghd root lift spray at the roots
4. Work ghd smooth and finish serum into the ends
5. Take a section from ear to ear
6. Dry your hair, directing the airflow away from the roots and over a brush
7. Wrap the ends around the brush, away from the face
8. Spritz your hair with ghd final shine spray for a glossy finish
that ’70s show
Hair took a trip back to the ’70s with natural, earthy texture at Coach, Ulla Johnson, Tommy Now, Zimmermann, Monse and Rodarte; that liberated free-spirit of the decade evoked in strands via a slight hippie kink. While at Tory Burch, it was the ’70s with a touch of Victoriana, with hair tousled and twisted into two knots for a more polished take on seventies-style texture.
The look: ’70s-inspired natural texture
Where: Ulla Johnson, Tory Burch, Tommy Now, Monse, Zimmermann, Rag & Bone, Tory Burch
get the look:
- Detangle wet curls with a ghd detangling comb
- Evenly apply ghd total volume foam through all of your hair
- Using your hands, apply ghd smooth and finish serum to tame frizz
- Using ghd HELIOS on a low heat, cup the hair into the diffuser to lock in natural curls
- Create more volume by using the diffuser at the crown
- Once the hair is fully dry, tease into position
And here’s to you, Mrs. Robinson
It seemed Marc Jacobs may have been watching re-runs of The Graduate when dreaming up his Fall Winter show, with Guido Palau turning Bella Hadid into a modern day Mrs. Robinson with a big, bouncy blow-out that would make Anne Bancroft proud. Shrimps too played on the retro bouffant, while Christopher John Rogers offered Old Hollywood curls, with hair sculpture a key player at fashion month.
The look: Bouncy bouffants with a lot of volume
Where: Marc Jacobs, Shrimps, Symonds Pearmain, Christopher John Rodgers
get the look:
- Spritz the hair with ghd heat protect spray
- Using ghd HELIOS, rough dry your hair until it’s 80% dry
- Comb ghd total volume foam evenly through your hair
- Using ghd detangling comb, place hair in a deep side parting
- Take a section from ear to ear
- Create small sections and wrap around a ghd ceramic size 2 brush then dry using ghd helios
- Unwrap each section to release the curl
- Blow-dry the fringe towards the face
- Tip your head back and shake out your curls
shop the look
ghd helios professional hairdryer, $290. shop now