Riddle us this: how do you do double denim without it involving two pieces of clothing? Answer: by throwing a denim handbag into the mix.
Spring/Summer 2016 was the unofficial season of the jeans-fabric bag, with Kenzo, Stella McCartney, Jimmy Choo, Miu Miu, Valentino, Chanel, Saint Laurent, Givenchy, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Roger Vivier and Burberry Prorsum all serving up irresistible options covering everything from cute clutches and chain-handle purses to leather-rimmed bucket bags and embroidered totes. In truth, it would probably be quicker to list the big-name brands that didn’t showcase denim arm-candy in their SS16 collections.
So what’s the lure? Apart from the obvious covet-factor, they’re durable, trans-seasonal, generally dry cleanable and, short of black tie or red carpet occasions – denim fabric pretty much suits any outfit. Bottom line, there are plenty of reasons to splash out. It might just be the most multi-purpose tote you’ve ever owned – which makes that price tag all the more justifiable, right?
CREDIT: Getty Images / Timur Emek
8 handbags for every budget to solve your double denim blues
1. Hot shape, hot fabric, leather detailing – no wonder this is possibly the most hyped everyday bag of the SS16 season. Who doesn’t love a detachable handle? It also comes in deep fuchsia pink and wisteria lilac denim versions.
KENZO, Kanvas Bucket Bag, $514. SHOP NOW
2. Stella’s extended the Falabella phenomenon to the skies with this new star-stamped denim version. Perfect for toting an iPad or spontaneous street-side social posts.
Stella McCartney, Falabella printed denim shoulder bag, $1618. SHOP NOW
3. Talk about of-the-moment appeal—a bold chevron pattern in denim ensures the Sloan bag is the epitome of graphic style. Let its polished hardware and chain-link strap add a touch of glamour to pared-back ensembles.
Michael Kors, Sloan Large Denim Chevron Shoulder Bag, $298. SHOP NOW
4. There’s nothing subtle about any of the Valentino Garavani Rockstud accessories, but this butterfly-embellished tote showboats in a way that’s still sweet. It comes in a small crossbody and backpack version, as well as a plain denim rockstud style, too.
Valentino, Blue Rockstud Denim Tote Bag, $3220. SHOP NOW
5. The perfect festival weekender – big enough for your phone, cash and compact but small enough to throw across your body and forget. Double as a clutch when it’s sans strap, too.
Pierre Hardy, Signature Bag in multi denim, $960. SHOP NOW
COVER IMAGE: Getty images / Melodie Jeng