Perhaps the most challenging variable of any biopic is the approval of the family or the subject themselves. Many films have come under fire for the portrayal of stars including House of Gucci and Green Book. For the upcoming biopic on Marilyn Monroe however, Ana de Armas has been backed by the estate.
Last week Netflix released the first official trailer to Blonde. The actress garnered criticism on social media for not portraying the accent of Monroe accurately, which would be extremely difficult for anyone, and even more so for the Cuban-born star. While the estate of Monroe did not authorise the film, they’ve released a statement supporting the casting of de Armas.
“Marilyn Monroe is a singular Hollywood and pop culture icon that transcends generations and history,” Marc Rosen, president of entertainment at Authentic Brands Group (ABG), which owns the Marilyn Monroe Estate, said in a statement to Variety. “Any actor that steps into that role knows they have big shoes to fill. Based on the trailer alone, it looks like Ana was a great casting choice as she captures Marilyn’s glamour, humanity and vulnerability. We can’t wait to see the film in its entirety!”
In a previous interview with The Times of London, de Armas recalled spending nearly one year preparing for the role. “It took me nine months of dialect coaching, and practicing and some ADR sessions [to get the accent right],” she said. “It was a big torture, so exhausting. My brain was fried.”
Blonde is based on the Joyce Carol Oates novel of the same and is set to explore the “complicated life” of Monroe. It will see a world premiere at the Venice International Film Festival this month before it’s released onto Netflix from September 23.