At last week’s CDFA Fashion Awards, Kendall Jenner arrived pins out, lips full, in a flurry of lavender feathers. Jenner is no stranger to making a scene – in fact – she relishes it. But her hair was relatively lo-fi, pulled up haphazardly in a kind of curly, tight top-knot with straggly bits falling across her face. It was an up ‘do sans the sophistication, upped with cool, and a dash of sex, and it came courtesy of none other than regular Jenner hairstylist, Jen Atkin.
It appeared Atkin had worked her magic in a matter of minutes, simply scrunching hair – almost wet in finish – up in a tight knot and pulling pieces out to float around Jenner’s prized face. The compact bun with bits was the kind of ‘whatever’ cool-girl hair Atkin champions so frequently, and has us wondering, how much effort went into the style?
Luckily, we know exactly how much. A few French pins, a Dyson Supersonic and an unexpected beauty product (plus some other steps). For the most part, a totally achievable style for us mere mortals. See Atkin’s how-to below…
get the look
1. prep damp hair with Ouai Curl jelly
2. diffuse hair with the Dyson supersonic hair dryer and diffuser attachment, with heat and speed setting at medium
3. curl using 1/2 in hot tools curling iron
4. spray with Vernon Francois pure fro hold and shine
5. apply ouai finishing cream throughout
6. add Christophe robin prickly pear balm for definition
7. secure into pony with bungee
8. create bun using French pins
9. fill in part with Anastasia Beverly Hills pro brow palette