It’s a conundrum which has plagued the beauty psyche for eons: how does one truly master the art of beach-to-bar hair?
If you, like me, leave a day at Bondi with a gorgeous perm-cum-crimp, this whole beach-to-bar thing sounds all but impossible. So how does one spend a glorious day in the sun and surf and go straight to Spritz town without looking like a Bichon Frise? Fear not, frizzy-inclined beach babes, Joey Scandizzo, Co-Creative Director of ELEVEN Australia; Australian Hairdresser of the Year 2018 and salon owner has come to our Bondi rescue.
“Between the sun and the sea, your hair goes through a lot at the beach, so whatever styling product you’re using make sure it also contains hydrating and nourishing ingredients that go deeper to repair damage ends and rehydrate the hair as it styles,” says Scandizzo. “Also, you can’t go past dry shampoo, I love ELEVEN Australia Give Me Clean Hair Dry Shampoo. Spray it into your roots to soak up excess sweat and grease from sunscreen while also creating volume, or use it in dry mid-lengths to add texture.”
“And if all else fails, you can’t go past a hat or scarf!”
Sound advice, indeed. But before you reach for the bucket hat, try these expert-approved, beach-to-bar-proof hairstyles instead. Here, Joey’s favourite hairstyles to take you from sand to sundowner – without a trip home in between. Spritzes all round.
Textured half-up ponytail
Bella Hadid nails this style, and it’s the perfect style if your hair is fine.
1. Use a sea salt spray, like ELEVEN Australia Sea Salt Texture Spray in wet hair and leave to air dry.
2 ELEVEN Australia Sea Salt Texture Spray is great because you can use it on wet or dry hair, plus it’s perfect for adding volume while giving your hair a bit of guts. Scrunch it through to encourage natural texture.
3. Take your wide tooth comb and gather the top section of hair onto the top of your head. Use your face as a guide by aligning your ponytail with your cheekbone.
4. Tie off high on the head.
5. Leave loose or if your ends are really dry you can twist it around into a knot.
6. You can scrunch though some more Sea Salt Texture Spray through the bottom half for added beachy texture.
This is great for all hair types, plus you can do it while your hair is still wet.
1. Mix a styling cream with a smoothing serum to give the hair hold, fight frizz and a hit of shine.
2. If your hair is finer, I recommend ELEVEN Australia Frizz Control Shaping Cream because it gives the hair a beautiful shine too.
3. If it’s coarser, go for something with a bit more hold like ELEVEN Australia Medium Hold Styling Cream.
4. Mix it in the palm of your hand with a smoothing serum such as ELEVEN Australia Smooth & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum and work that through wet hair from roots to ends.
5. Then taking your comb create a centre part and pull hair back low at the nape of your neck in a ponytail.
6. If your hair is really frizzy you can apply more serum to the ponytail, then twist hair in a circular motion, pinning into a bun.
7. Finish with hairspray, such as ELEVEN Australia Give Me Hold Hairspray to tame final fly-aways and hold the bun in place.
Find a heatless hairstyle that works for your hair type and you’ll be good to go all summer long, just change up the look with accessories like a scarf or clips.
1. If you’re curly, ELEVEN Australia Keep My Curl Defining Cream will enhance curls and waves without any crunch.
2. For wavier hair, Frizz Control Shaping Cream will smooth the hair while still giving it some movement.
3. Styling foam, such as ELEVEN Australia I Want Body Volume Foam, works well to enhance natural wave while creating volume, scrunch it into damp hair, twist with your fingers to boost natural texture.
inside joey’s beach bag
ELEVEN Australia Sea Salt Texture Spray, $24. shop now
ELEVEN Australia I Want Body Volume Foam, $23. shop now
ELEVEN Australia Medium Hold Styling Cream, $27. shop now
ELEVEN Australia Give Me Clean Hair Dry Shampoo, $25. shop now
eleven Australia Frizz Control Shaping Cream, $27. shop now
ELEVEN Australia Smooth & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum, $25. shop now
eleven australia carbon fire comb, $15. shop now
Tile and Cover Credit: Pinterest